J. Lucas Koberda, M.D., Ph.D., Professor of Neurology,
Board Certified Neurologist, Director of Tallahassee Neurobalance Center
4838 Kerry Forest Parkway, Tallahassee, FL 32309,
Clinical interests: EEG-QEEG (Brain Mapping), LORETA Imaging, Neuromodulation, Cognitive enhancement, Peak Performance, Neurofeedback including LORETA, Neurotherapy, Magnetic Stimulation, Neuropsychiatry, Cognitive Neurology, Forensic-Neurology,Teaching, Academic and Research Interest.
Director and Owner- J. Lucas Koberda, MD, PhD, Neurology, PL
CEO-"Brain Enhancement, Inc." non-for profit organization-since December, 2014.
Neurology Consultant-Florida State Psychiatric Hospital, Chattahoochee, FL,-2007-2014
Consulting Neurologist- HealthSouth-Rehabilitation Hospital, Tallahassee, FL.-till 2014.
Alzheimer Disease Advisory Committee (Florida)-appointed by the Florida Governor- CharlieChrist on August 12, 2010-October 2012.
International Board of Quantitative Electrophysiology (IBQE)-between 2013-2015.
Licensure - Active:Florida, New York State, Utah, Georgia
2012-Carrick Institute for Graduate Studies-Cape Canaveral, FL-Professor of Neurology.
2007-Clinical Assistant Professor ofNeurology-Florida State University-College of Medicine, Tallahassee, FL.Neurology and Geriatrics Elective Teaching Faculty 2010-2011.
2001-Clinical Assistant Professor of Neurology-Albany Medical College, Albany, New York
Journal of Psychology and Clinical Psychiatry-2014.
Journal of Neurology and Stroke-2014.
International Journal of Emergency Mental Health and Human Resilience-since-2014.
Journal of Neurology and Neurobiology-since-2015
Valetudinaria-Progress in Clinical and MilitaryMedicine (European medical journal)-till 2013
Clinical EEG and Neuroscience-since 2013
Other above journals since 2014
Journal of Psychology and Clinical Psychiatry-2014.
Foreign languages:English and Polish-Fluently, Russian, German-little bit.
Education and Training:
Undergraduate: 1976-1980-M. Kopernik School, Gdansk, Poland.
Graduate:1980 – 1986-Medical University in Gdansk-graduation-Oct 24, 1986 M.D.-Gdansk,Poland.
Postgraduate Training and Employment:
1986-1989-Internal Medicine Residency Training-Medical University in Gdansk, Poland.
Summer1988- Visiting Scientist-Departmentof Hematology-University of Ferrara, Italy.
1989-1990-Postdoctoral Training-Department of Hematology, J.W. Goethe University, Frankfurt/M.,Germany.
1990-1991-Postdoctoral Training-Department of Neurosurgery and Department of Tumor Biology UT M. D.Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX.
1991-1994-Postdoctoral Training-Dept. of Hematology-BMT Section, UT M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX.
1994-1995-Transitional Resident-PGY-1, Easton Hospital, Easton, PA 18042.
1995-1998-Neurology Resident-Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR.
1995-Ph.D.,degree in Immunology and Experimental Tumor Immunotherapy-paper entitled “Evaluation of oncolytic potential of human lymphocytes activated with low dose of IL-2 and anti-CD3 and anti-CD28 antibodies.”-Ph.D.-from Medical University in Warsaw.
1998-2006-Solo Neurology Practice in Potsdam, NY.
2004-2005-Medical Director of Acute Rehabilitation Unit– CHMC-Ogdensburg, NY.
2006-present- Neurology practice in Tallahassee, FL.
2010-2011-Regional Medical Director-Neurocall, Inc. 11760 SW Bird Rd., Suite 306, Miami, FL33275-teleneurology services.
2000-Board Certification in Neurology- by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (valid 2000-2020).
Society-Organization and Memberships:
1996 -American Academy of Neurology, Active Member-Epilepsy and Stroke sections.
2003-Vice President-St. Lawrence County Medical Society, NY.
2004-2006-President - St. Lawrence County Medical Society, NY.
2006-Member of Rural and Preventive Medicine Committee –MSSNY.
2006-Delegatefrom St. Lawrence County to House of Delegate meeting in Buffalo, NY.
2006-Memberof Committee for Governmental Affairs B.
2007-2012-Board of Directors-Epilepsy Associationof the Big Bend, Tallahassee, FL.
2011-The Society of Applied Neurosciences-ActiveMember.
2012-International Society for Neurofeedback and Research.
2012-The Biofeedback Society of Florida-Active Member.
2013-EEG and Clinical Neuroscience Society (ECNS)-Member.
Medical Advocacy and Advising:
1.May-2004-Neurology on the Hill (Washington DC) - advocacy for development of stroke centers, malpractice reforms, Medicare – organized by American Academy ofNeurology (AAN).
2.June-2005-Neurology on the Hill- advocacy for malpractice reforms, Medicare and Medicaid reforms-organized by AAN.
3.Spring 2005 - Albany NY-Advocacy on the State level- Malpractice reforms,access of Medicaid patient to care and services.
4.2003-2004- Advocacy against obesity in children- resulted in elimination of sodas and “junk” food from local schools
5.2004-2005-Advocacy in support of “self-pay” patients and insurance coverage.
6.May-2006- Neurology on the Hill- advocacy for fixing Medicare payment formula-organized by AAN.
7.2006- Health advisory meeting-to Congressman John M. McHugh (23rd.Congressional District of State of New York)-currently 21st United States Secretary of the Army (in the President Obama’s Cabinet).
7. March 2008-Advocacy to restrict trade medication substitution by generic anti-seizure medications without physician’s and patient’s consent-Tallahassee, FL
8. December 22nd, 2008-Host andmoderator-Tallahassee Health Care Forum-the community discussion regarding health care reforms.
9. April 16th, 2009-organizer andmoderator of the fundraiser to fight high infant mortality rate in Leon County,Tallahassee FL
10. October 8th, 2009-Organizer of fundraising and silent auction to support under-funded Tallahassee institutionsincluding Epilepsy Association of the Big Bend and Neighborhood Health Services, Inc -serving underprivileged population with no health insurance.
1999-Application of neurophysiologic testing for neurological diagnosis-Clarkson University Health Sciences- Potsdam, NY.
1999-Traumatic Brain Injury- Clarkson University Health Sciences- Potsdam, NY.
2004-New options in the treatment of epilepsy- Claxton-Hepburn Medical Center,Ogdensburg, NY.
2005-Introduction to Neurology- St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY.
2006-Introduction to Neurology- Florida State University, Tallahassee FL.
2008-Introduction to diagnosis and treatment of epilepsy, Florida State Psychiatric Hospital,Tallahassee FL.
2/2011-Current options in the treatment of epilepsy-hosted by the Epilepsy Association of The Big Bend.
10/2011-Quantitative EEG and Brain Disorders-invited speaker during the Brain Symposium inTallahassee, FL.
5/25/2012-QEEG and Neurofeedback with Z-score LORETA in neurological practice-multiple-cases presentation-Cancun, Mexico-Z-score neurofeedback workshop.
6/4/2012-Application of quantitative EEG in epilepsy and other neurological disorders-invited for the Grand Rounds presentation by the Neurology Department (Epilepsy Section) Medical University of Southern Carolina-Charleston.
7/11/2012-QEEG and Neurofeedback in clinical practice-Grand Rounds presentation-Invited byTallahassee Memorial Hospital in Tallahassee-residency program director.
7/21/2012—QEEG assessment with Z-score & LORETA neurofeedback in neuro-psychiatric disorders-invited speaker for a workshop presentation during The Biofeedback Society of Florida Meeting in Orlando, FL.
3/26/2013-Electrical Neuroimaging and Neurofeedback-Rotary Club, Tallahassee, FL.
8/8/2013-Electrical Imaging in Neuro-psychiarty-invited by the Tallahassee Memorial Hospital program director of Internal Medicine Residency Training-combined FSU/TMH hospital, Tallahassee, FL.
8/30/2013-The role of LORETA Z-score Neurofeedback in the Treatment of Neuropsychiatric Disorders-invited by Dr. Georges Otte-Medical Director of Neuropsychiatric Hospital-Ghent, Belgium.
9/21/2013-LORETA Z-score Neurofeedback in Neuropsychiatry-ISNR meeting in Dallas, TX-presented during the small group discussion section.
11/2/2013-“Z-score LORETA Neurofeedback in Clinical Practice”-invited speaker lecture during the Southeastern Biofeedback & Clinical Neuroscience Association conference in lake Junalusca, NC.
1/7/2014-“Application of QEEG (Brain Mapping) in psychiatry-clinical implication for diagnosis and treatment”-TMH-psychiatry department, allahassee, FL.
Published or submitted Articles:
1. Koberda J. Czyz J. Hellmann A.Leukocyte doubling time as a prognostic factor in chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Acta Haemat Pol 20:195, 1989.
2.Hellmann A, Koberda J.Siekierska-Hellmann M. Use of Cyclosporin A in the treatment of Sezary's Syndrome. Pol Tyg Lek 45:444, 1990.
3.Hellmann, Koberda J. Baran W.Relationship of the duration of the chronic phase in chronic granulocytic leukemia to the total dose of busulphan in the first year of treatment. Acta Haemat Pol 21:60, 1990.
4. Koberda J. Hellmann A. GlutathioneS-transferase activity of leukemic cells as a prognostic factor for response to chemotherapy in acute leukemias. Med Oncol & Tumor Pharmacother 21:35,1991.
5. Koberda J. Bergmann L. Mitrou PS,Hoelzer D. High release of TNF-alpha, INF-gamma, IL-6 by phenotypically T-cellderived adherent lymphokine-activated killer cells. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol117:425, 1991.
6. Koberda J. Grimm EA, Moser RP. Effectof anti-CD3/anti-CD28/IL-2 stimulation of mononuclear cells on transforming growth factor-beta inhibition of lymphokine-activated killer cells generation.J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 119:131, 1993.
7. Koberda J. Przepiorka D. Moser RP.Grimm EA. Sequential TNF and TGF-beta regulation of expansion and induction of cytotoxicity in long-term cultures of lymphokine-activated killer cells.Lymphokine & Cytokine Res. 13, 2, 1994.
8. Przepiorka D. Ippoliti C. Koberda J. Chan K.W. Khouri I. FischerH.E. Huh Y.O. Escudier S. Seong D. Davis M. Gajewski J. Vriesendorp H. Champlin R.E. Short courses interleukin-2, cyclosporine and steroids for prevention of graft-vs-host disease after haploidentical marrow transplantation.Transplantation, 1994.
9.Lackowski D. Koberda J.L. DeLougheryT.G. So Y. Natural Killer cell leukemia as a cause of peripheral neuropathy and meningitis: a case report. Neurology. 1998. Aug; 51 (2): 640-1
10. Koberda J.L. Ischemic stroke preventionand treatment. Valetudinaria.-invited review article-1, 2006.
11. Koberda J.L. Clinical advantages of quantitative electroencephalogram (QEEG)-electrical neuroimaging application in general neurology practice- Clinical EEG and Neuroscience-March 26, 2013.
12. Koberda J.L. Detection of mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI). Neuroconnection-winter 2011 edition (ISNR).
13. Koberda J.L., St. Hillier D., Jones B., Moses A., Koberda L.A. Application of Neurofeedback in General Neurology Practice. Journal of Neurotherapy-3 2012.
14. Koberda J.L., Moses A., Koberda P. "Cognitive Enhancement Using 19-electrode Z-score Neurofeedback. Journal of Neurotherapy-3,2012.
15. Koberda J.L. Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) as a Potential Target of Z-scoreLORETA Neurofeedback. The Neuroconnection- winter 2012 edition (ISNR).
16. Koberda J.L. Koberda L.Koberda P. Moses A. Bienkiewicz A. Alzheimer’s dementia as a potential targerof Z-score LORETA 19-electrode neurofeedback. Neuroconnection-Winter p. 30-32. 2013.
17. KoberdaJ.L., Koberda P, Bienkiewicz A, MosesA, Koberda L. Pain Management Using 19-Electrode Z-Score LORETA Neurofeedback.J. of Neurotherapy-14, 3. 2013.
18. J. Lucas Koberda, Paula Koberda, Andrew Moses, Jessica Winslow, Andrew Bienkiewicz, Laura Koberda. "Z-score LORETA Neurofeedback as a Potential Therapy of ADHD". –Special Edition-Biofeedback Magazine-Summer-Vol. 42, No. 2, p.74-81-2014.
19. J. Lucas Koberda, Paula Koberda, Andrew Moses, Jessica Winslow, Andrew Bienkiewicz, Laura Koberda.
“Z-score LORETA Neurofeedback as a Potential Therapy in Depression and Anxiety”. Neuroconnection-Spring-2014.
20. Cannon RL1, Pigott HE, Surmeli T, Simkin DR, Thatcher RW, Van den Bergh W, Gluck G, Lubar JF, Davis R, Foster DS, Douglas J, Malcolm AT, Bars D, Little K, Center W, Berman M, Russell H, Hammer B, Koberda JL. J Clin Psychiatry. 2014 Mar; 75(3):289-90. The problem of patient heterogeneity and lack of proper training in a study of EEG neurofeedback in children.
21. Koberda JL. "Neuromodulation-En Emerging Therapeutic Modality in Neurology-editorial-Journal Neurol Stroke-2014 1, (4), 00027.
22. Koberda JL. "Z-score LORETA Neurofeedback as a Potential Rehabilitation Modality in Patients with CVA" Journal Neurol Stroke-(2014), 1 (5), 00029.
23. Koberda JL. "Z-score LORETA Neurofeedback as a potential Therapy in Cognitive Dysfunction and Dementia". Journal of Psychology Clin Psychiatry-(2014)-1, (6), 00037.
24. Koberda, JL.(2015) "Application of Z-score LORETA Neurofeedback in Therapy of Epilepsy-Editorial-Journal of Neurology and Neurobiology-Vol-1.1.
25. Frey, LC, Koberda, JL. (2015) "LORETA Z-score Neurofeedback in Patients with Medically-Refractory Epilepsy" Journal of Neurology and Neurobiology-Vol. 1.1.
26. Koberda, JK, Frey, LC (2015). Application of Z-score LORETA Neurofeedback in Therapy of Epilepsy" Journal of Neurology and Neurobiology-Vol.1.1.
27. Koberda, JL. (2015). "Neurofeedback-An Alternative Therapy for Mental Disorders"-The Patient Magazine-Q2-2015.
28. Koberda, JL. (2015). "Traumatic Brain Injury: Is Neurofeedback the Best Available Therapy?"-Editorial-Journal of Neurology and Neurobiology-Vol. 1.3.
29. Koberda, JL. (2015). "LORETA Z-score Neurofeedback-Effectiveness in Rehabilitation of Patients suffering From Traumatic Brain Injury"-Journal of Neurology and Neurobiology-Vol. 1.4.
1. Koberda J. Bergmann L. Mitrou PS.Hoelzer D. Adherent lymphokine-activated killer (A-LAK)cells-immunological and functional characterization. Blood 76, 10, 833, Suppl.,1990
2. Koberda J. Grimm EA, Moser RP.Anti-CD3/anti-CD28 stimulation antagonizes TGF-beta suppression ofIL-2-activated killer cell generation. Exp Hematol 20, 6, 435, 1992.
3.Koberda J. Przepiorka D. Moser RP. Grimm EA. TNF and TGF-beta involvement in the regulation of proliferation and killing of lymphokine-activated killer (LAK) cells in long-term cultures. Blood 80, 10,1711, 1992.
4. Koberda J. Przepiorka D. Giralt S. ChamplinRE. Characterization of immunological reconstitution of CML patients undergoing allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. Blood 80, 10, 2096, Suppl., 1992.
5. Koberda J. Przepiorka D. Moser RP.Grimm EA. At least two different forms of TGF-beta are involved in the regulation of proliferation and killing of lymphokine-activated killer (LAK) cells in long-term cultures. J Clin Oncol ASCO meeting-1993.
6.Przepiorka D. Huh YO. Mehra R. Geisler D. KoberdaJ. Champlin RE. Deisseroth AB. Prolonged immunodeficiency in breast cancer patients after sequential high-dose chemotherapy with or without autologous marrow support. Blood 82, 10, 679, Suppl., 1993.
7. Koberda J. Reading C. Mehra R.Champlin RE. The minimal residual disease detection by 9187 monoclonal antibody. Blood 82, 10, 2581, Suppl., 1993.
8. Koberda J. Przepiorka D. Bednarczyk J.Escudier S. Deisseroth AB. McIntyre B. Identification of E-selectin (ELAM-1) on normal human hematopoietic cells. Blood 82, 10, 113, Suppl., 1993.
9.Przepiorka D. Ippoliti C. Koberda J.Chan KW. Khouri I. Huh YO. Escudier S. Seong D. Gajewski J. Vriesendrop H.Champlin RE. Short-coures interleukin-2, cyclosporine and steroids for prevention of graft-vs-host disease after haploidentical marrow transplantation. J. Cell. Biochem. Keystone Symposia - Jan, 1994.
10. Koberda J. Przepiorka D. Bednarczyk J.Escudier S. Champlin RE, Deisseroth AB, McIntyre BW. Identification of hyperglycosylated E-selectin (ELAM-1) expression on normal and leukemic hematopoietic cells. Exp. Hematol. Suppl., 1994.
11.Koberda J.L. Clark W. Letsup H.Nesbit G. Successful clinical recovery and reversal of mid-basilar occlusion inclinically brain dead patient with intra-arterial urokinase. Neurology. 48,Suppl. PO3.004, March, 1997.
12.Lackowski D. Koberda J.L. Natural killer cell proliferation as a cause of peripheral neuropathy. Blood. 90, 10:Suppl. 2964, November 15, 1997.
13. Koberda J.L. Clinical advantages of quantitative electroencephalogram (QEEG) application in general neurologypractice-presented during the Society of Applied Neuroscience meeting-Abstract published in Neuroscience Letters, Vol. 500, Suppl. 1, July 2011, p-32.
14. Koberda J.L., Moses A. Application of quantitative electroencephalogram (QEEG) and neurofeedback in general neurology practice-presented-ISNR meeting-September, 2011.
15. Koberda J.L. Application of Quantitative EEG and LORETA in general neurology practice for detection and localization in epilepsy. Presented during the American Academy of Neurology(AAN) meeting (April 23, 2012) Neurology suppl.
16. Koberda J.L, Moses A., Koberda P.,Koberda L., Comparison of the Effectiveness of Z-Score Surface/LORETA19-Electrode Neurofeedback to Standard 1-Electrode Neurofeedback-was presented during the ISNR conference in Orlando-September2012-J. of Neurotherapy, 4, p-302.
17. Koberda J.L. Bienkiewicz A., Koberda L., Koberda P. Moses A. Electrical Imaging and Z-score LORETA Neurofeedback-New paradigm to Neuro-Psychiatric Diagnosis and Treatment. Presented during the First International Conference on Basic and Clinical Multimodal Imaging-Geneva, Switzerland-September 5-8, 2013.
18. Koberda J.L., Bienkiewicz A., Koberda L., Koberda P. Moses A. LORETA Z-score Neurofeedback as a Potential Application in Epilepsy.-presented during the ISNR meeting in Dallas-September 20, 2013-abstract expected to be published in J. of Neurotherapy, 4, 2013.
19. Koberda J.L., Bienkiewicz A., Koberda L., Koberda P. Moses A. LORETA Z-score Neurofeedback as a Potential Application in Depression.-presented during the ISNR meeting in Dallas-September 22, 2013-J. of Neurotherapy, 4, 2013.
20. Koberda J.L., Bienkiewicz A., Koberda L., Koberda P. Moses A. High Effectiveness of LORETA Z-score Neurofeedback in the treatment of Headaches-presented during the ISNR meeting in Dallas, TX-September 19, 2013-abstract expected to be published in J. of Neurotherapy, 4, 2013.
21. J. Lucas Koberda, MD, PhD; Andrew Moses; Paula Koberda; Jessica Winslow
“Cognitive Enhancement with LORETA Z-score Neurofeedback”-oral presentation during the AAPB meeting in Savannah, GA-March, 2014.
Published Newspaper Articles and Press Releases:
1. Reforming health care: Where do we go next? Tallahassee Democrat. Feb 7th, 2009
2. Forum focuses on the need for health-care reforms.Tallahassee Democrat. Chronicle. Feb 4th. 2009.
3. Community-health forum provides input to Obama’stransition team. Tallahassee Democrat. Jan 10th, 2009.
4. We can’t support defensive medicine. Tallahassee Democrat. Dec 13th. 2008.
5. Should we limit president’s age? Tallahassee Democrat.Oct 28th, 2008.
6. Health center needs community support. Tallahassee Democrat. March 31st, 2009.
7. Improve safety on Tallahassee roads. Tallahassee Democrat. May 9th, 2009.
8. Policy is shaped by right and wrong. Tallahassee Democrat. September 30th, 2009
9. Computer is good for everything-Riviera, July 3, 2012-Published in Polish newspaper.
10. Dr. J. Lucas Koberda using neurofeedback to treat brain-related illnesses. Tallahassee Democrat. March 6, 2013
11. "Neuroscience Advances Bring Modern Therapy"-Tallahassee Democrat-December 8, 2014.
1. Clinical Methods of Neurotherapy: Techniques and Treatment Applications. Editors-David Cantor and Jim Evans-one chapter published November, 2013.
2. “The Migraine Revolution”-by Martin Brink-clinical cases contributor-published 2012.
3.. "Z Score Neurofeedback: Clinical Applications". Editors-Robert Thatcher and Joel Lubar-as coauthor-expected in summer 2014.
- "Z-score LORETA Neurofeedback as a Potential Therapy in Depression/Anxiety and Cognitive Dysfunction".
- "LORETA Z-score Neurofeedback in Chronic Pain and Headaches".
-"Therapy of Seizures and Epilepsy with Z-score LORETA Neurofeedback".
4. "QEEG and Neurofeedback-A Clinician's Companion"-Editor-Tom Collura-as an author of one chapter-expected Fall 2016.
5. "Advances in Neuroimaging Research"-one chapter-pages 121-146-"QEEG/LORETA Electrical Imaging in Neuropsychiatry-Diagnosis and Treatment Implications". published by Nova Biomedical Publishing-September 2014.
6. Asparger Syndrome: Risk Factors, Cognitive-Behavioral Characteristics and Management Strategies-Editor-Michael Shaughnessy-An author of one chapter: QEEG/LORETA Electrical Imaging and Z-score Neurofeedback-New Approach to Diagnosis and Therapy of Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD)" published-March, 2015 by Nova Biomedical Publishing.
Updated on 3/4/2016